30 km Route: Lake Garden - Bukit Tunku - Seri Hartamas (Petronas loop) - Mount Kiara - Seri Hartamas - Bukit Tunku (Triple Hill) - Lake Garden

photo credit: dreamstime
Yesterday (7 Feb Chinese New Year's eve) my intention was to do 20 km LSD run at the usual Lake Garden <-> Seri Hartamas Petronas route. 

But during the return from Seri Hartamas Petronas Station, I saw 2 young elite runners in their early 20s overtaking me at Seri Hartamas Shopping Center. So I decided to pace behind them as long as I could to see where they went. And I ended up running to Mount Kiara for the first time.

And I also decided to run the triple hill route back to Lake Garden, making it a 30 km LSD for the first time at this route - surviving without power gel ; and hydrating myself with 1 bottle of Revive, 1 bottle of 100 Plus and 1 bottle of mineral water.

And I would like to share this 30 km route that has minimal loops and plenty of hills (including triple hill) for training purpose. 




My apology for not running with a smartphone to capture the scenes along the way. Not much pictures to share here except for my Garmin Forerunner 10's Course Map. But I'm sure many would have familiar with most of the routes here. 

I hope the sharing on the 30 km route here will help you who wants minimal loops, plenty of hills right in the center of Kuala Lumpur's green lungs.



30 km Route (1 of 4): 10.13 km 
Max Elevation: 124 m; Elevation Gain: 171 m
Lake Garden to Bukit Tunku (via KTM station) to Seri Hartamas Petronas (1 loop @ Petronas)

30 km Route (1 of 4): 10.13 km
Max Elevation: 124 m ; Elevation Gain: 171 m
Lake Garden to Bukit Tunku (via KTM station) to Seti Hartamas Petronas (1 loop @ Petronas)



This is the most common 19-20 km route that most LSD runners do from Lake Garden to Seri Hartamas passing through KTM station and Bukit Tunku. 


The twist: 

Instead of running pass Seri Hartamas Shopping Center to the Petronas station, turn left at the traffic light after Seri Hartamas Shopping Center to reach Petronas from behind. This would add about 1 km to your run.


The total distance you will over is 10.13 km.

After you reach Petronas station, you can replenish yourself with water and also use the public toilet at Petronas. 

You shall see many runners taking their little water break there as well. 

Don't rest too long. Then please move on to the next 8 km.




30 km Route (2 of 4): 8.09 km (total 18.22 km)
Max Elevation: 123 m; Elevation Gain: 134 m
Seri Hartamas Petronas (1 loop @ Petronas) to Publica to Mount Kiara to Seri Hartamas Petronas

30 km Route (2 of 4): 8.09 km (Max Elevation: 123 m; Elevation Gain: 134 m)
Seri Hartamas Petronas (1 loop @ Petronas) to Publica to Mount Kiara to Seri Hartamas Petronas




Initially I wanted to run straight back to Lake Garden using double hill route, but after making 1 loop at Petronas then back to Seri Hartamas Shopping Center, I saw 2 young elite runners in their 20s running in a very consistent pace together. 

I know I'm old and not elite. 

But I thought, "Hey, may be I shall try my best to follow their pace as part of training." 

So I did.

I followed them from Seri Hartamas Shopping Center to the Publica. Then they made left turn towards Mount Kiara. I thought to myself, "Hmm.. I don't know where these young elite runners are going, let me try to follow them. May be I will discover new route.."

Then ended up running the Mount Kiara route passing through Solaris which was the first time for me.

Anyway, I lost sight of them once we passed through Solaris. They were at very slow pace for them - but for me - I was having challenging time to catch up. Anyway, it was good training and motivation for me to improve despite the age factor. :)

So I proceeded on my own after Solaris, running pass 1 Mount Kiara Plaza and making my way back to Seri Hartamas Petronas station again.

I looked at my Garmin Forerunner 10 watch and it clocked 8.09 km. 

This made accumulated distance of 10.13 km + 8. 09 km = 18.22 km

Next time if you want to have extra distance, you can try this route. Very nice - running on the pavement and seeing all the high-rise condos at Mount Kiara.

Again, at Seri Hartamas Petronas, you can take replenish yourself for the 2nd time. 

Ok - after a short break, let's go back to Lake Garden using the Cangkat Tunku Tripple Hill route.


30 km Route (3 of 4): 7.86 km (total 26.08 km)
Max Elevation: 115 m; Elevation Gain: 163 m
Seri Hartamas Petronas to Bukit Tunku to Changkat Tunku's Triple Hill top Mayor's house. 

30 km Route (3 of 4): 7.86 km (Max Elevation: 115 m; Elevation Gain: 163 m)
Seri Hartamas Petronas to Bukit Tunku to Changkat Tunku's Triple Hill Top



Most of the times, I would run the same route back to Lake Garden - passing through KTM station without turning into the double hill route.

But yesterday, I decided to train myself with distance and hills so I decided to conquer the triple hill.

I ran slowly (by now my pace has slowed down so much because no energy already) up to the triple hill top at Changkat Tunku where the mayor's house is and breathtaking KL city view can be seen. 

Well, actually my run was more like a fast walk up the hills. Without power gel going beyond 20 km is a killer!! But hey - training needs to be tough. So i endured with it compensating it with slower pace.

I clocked another 7.86 km, making the total accumulated distance of 26.08 km (10.13 km + 8. 09 km + 7.86 km). 

Once you reach the Changkat Tunku's hill top, please spend some time enjoying the beautiful scenery of KL beautiful skyline. Take some photos if you have smartphone with you.

Usually I don't bring phones to run. So this round my apology for no photos to share with you. 

Anyway, you MUST GO AND VIEW the KL Skyline from the triple hill top there yourself. :)

I didn't actually take a break yesterday. Once I reached the top, I reset my Garmin again and started to run back to Lake Garden.


30 km Route (4 of 4): 4.04 km (total 30.12 km)
Max Elevation: 118 m; Elevation Gain: 31 m
Changkat Tunku's Triple Hill Top to National Monument (double hill route) to Lake Garden 


30 km Route (4 of 4): 4.04 km (Max Elevation: 118 m; Elevation Gain: 31 m)
Changkat Tunku's Triple Hill Top to National Monument (double hill route) to Lake Garden 



Well, if you still have energy, you can run faster all the way back to Lake Garden since the elevation gain is 31 m only even though the max elevation is 118 m. :)

But for me, my pace was getting slower and slower yesterday. Thank goodness for the good weather so I wasn't suffering so much except i was exhausted.

By the time I passed National Monument using the triple hill route and reached the traffic light, I stopped by GPS watch.

The total distance for the last leg was 4.04 km, making total distance of 30.12 km. 

This concluded an exciting, minimal loops, plenty of hills 30 km LSD on Chinese New Year's eve.

So next time if you are up to the challenge, please explore. And if you find new interesting routes especially 30 km route without much loop repeats, please kindly share with me. I would like to explore new routes to run too. :)


Longest distance so far on Skechers GORun 4 (US Size 9.0)

Comments