Half Marathon No. 9: Twincity Marathon 2022 - First Race in 3 Years


What's happened the last 3 years (pandemic, lockdown, etc)...

I have been running alone in my neighbourhood for the last couple of years since we were allowed to run outdoors  - keeping away from the crowd, maintaining social distancing. 

Since I sold my Garmin GPS watch back in early 2020, I have been running without a watch. Occasionally I run with Nike running app. Earlier this year, I decided to buy a normal fitness watch Maimo that could tell the time, pace, and distance. Unfortunately, the Maimo watch is not a GPS watch. The reading is not accurate. In most cases, the reading is 1-2 km short if I run a 20-21km distance. This means that I can not rely on the average pace, the active pace and the distance readings when I run with the watch. Hence, it serves more like a time watch than a fitness watch for me. I can't use it for any pace training. 

With the announcement of KL Standard Chartered Marathon 2022 to be back in November this year, I know I have to be more serious about my running already. Otherwise, I may end up suffering the long 42km distance under scorch hot weather in November 2022. 

My training plan is to run on a treadmill once a week because treadmill can tell me about pace and speed which my Maimo fitness watch can't do so accurately. 

For weekly LSD, I plan to follow Wind Runner's weekly 20km run at Sri Hartamas. Wind Runners have pacers for different speed - 5min/km, 5.30min/km, 5.45min/km, 6min/km, 6.30min/km, 7min/km, and so forth. If I follow the Wind Runners pacers, I can then know my pace and I can train more properly.

I also plan to run with other runner friends in a smaller group too. By trying to keep up with them, I believe that will help me in my training. Besides, they all have GPS watch - either Garmin or Coros. I can always check on my distance and time with them after each run.

On other days, I plan to just run leisurely near my house with Maimo watch to lock in the mileage despite inaccurate readings. 


Few days before the Twincity 21km Half Marathon...

To be honest, I didn't register for Twincity Marathon 2022 held on July 23-24, 2022. Somehow, I am still not very comfortable in running any race as pandemic is not fully over yet. 

In fact, I didn't join any physical or virtual runs since KL Standard Chartered Marathon 2019 (Nov 30). It has been an almost 3 years' absence from any race. And the only race I plan to run this year will be the brought-forward KL Standard Chartered Marathon 2022 to be held on November 13, 2022. 

Then, some unexpected drama has unfolded a few days before the Twincity Marathon 2022's event day.

Here are some WhatsApp conversations between me and my runner friend Marcus:

20 July (Wed)

  • ".. I'm pretty persuasive... 21k Twincity! I've asked around..!! No body wants..."
I thanked my friend Marcus for his kind offer. 

But my answer was a firm no. 

I told him I was going to hike at Sri Bintang Hill on 23 July Saturday morning.

And since Wind Runners wouldn't have a training session that weekend as most of them would be on pacer duty at Twincity; and my runner friends also would be running at Twincity, and I planned to run LSD alone on Sunday morning at Padang Merbuk. I had no issue with running alone. 

22 July (Fri)
  • "Your best pacer (me) is with you on Sunday morning."
  • "What's there to think twice...? Moreover additional benefit points: 1. Just as a LSD Sunday morning.. 2. It's free... 3. You also get to follow Wind Runners Pacers 4. Have fun."
Marcus was really persistent. I continued to ask him to get someone else to run instead. I told him I haven't trained for Twincity. My original plan was only to run one race this year - 42km at KLSCM in November 2022.

Then he replied, 

  • "But you can make a decision till tomorrow night. Let me know."

23 July (Sat)

As planned, I went to hike at Sri Bintang Hill with some other friend on last Saturday morning, putting behind the idea of running at Twincity already. It was a cooling morning with beautiful views at Sri Bintang Hill. I really enjoyed the hike.

In the late afternoon, as I was scrolling through my Facebook, I kept seeing friends posting their Twincity Marathon's race results (12km and 5km) and race kit collections for 42km / 21km. 

That made my legs very itchy (gatal) wanting to run too! haha! 

I guess I really really really miss running in a race, soaking in the race atmosphere, and being with the like-minded running community. 

At 7.31pm, I double checked with Marcus again to see if his offer to run Twincity 21km as LSD training was still on. 

  • "Not midnight yet, right"
  • "Waiting for you"
Ok, that sealed the dramatic deal! lol! 



The unexpected last-minute decision to run 21km as LSD training at Twincity Marathon resulted in my anxiety build-up and sleepless night. 

What have I got myself into?

3 years without any race - it's no joke. 

I even forgot what and how to prepare for a race. 

I don't even have power gel or energy bar at home to bring along. 

I don't even have a proper GPS watch to help monitor my pace during race.

Oh well, I should treat it just like a usually weekly LSD training. Then I shouldn't feel the pressure and anxiety.

Anyway, I still kept tossing on my bed. I couldn't sleep. I kept checking my alarm worrying I would oversleep (gotta wake up at 3.15am).

Anxiety and worry were still there - not only because it would be my first race event in almost 3 years, but also it would be the first mass event to participate with invisible Covid still roaming amongst us. Double anxiety!

Glad I managed to finally sleep for 45 minutes before alarm went off at 3.15am.

After doing my morning toilet routine, having a cup of oat meals, putting on my running gear, and making sure I brought 2 pieces of face masks, off I went to Cyberjaya. 

I kept telling myself it's not a race. It's a normal LSD run - just like any other Sunday LSDs. But this round, the venue would be in Cyberjaya / Putrajaya rather than Padang Merbok / Seri Hartamas. This helped to calmed me down a lot. 

I parked at Masjid Raja Haji Fisabilillah a short walking distance from the CBD Perdana 2. Then I took a stroll to meet Marcus and his friends at event venue. 


21km Half Marathon 

1. Race route

If I'm not mistaken, Twincity Marathon 2022 is the 7th edition. 

I have participated in 42km full marathon in 2016, 2017, and 2018. But I have never participated in a half marathon at Twincity. This would be my first half- marathon at Twincity. 

Here is the route map of 21km half marathon: 



2. Start line: 2:00 hr pacers' dark blue balloons

Atmosphere in a race is something very magical that I always treasure.

It was so wonderful to be with running community in a race again after 3 long years.  

I was so excited and happy to be able to feel the rhythm and heart beat of the runners gathering together running a race with a common goal to be a better self and living a healthy lifestyle again!

At the same time, I was double nervous at the start line. 

Besides being nervous about running my first race in over 3 years, I was also nervous seeing 99% of runners crowding at the start line, without social distancing, without face masks.

I still insisted on wearing my mask at event venue and start line. I have a 98 year-old dad at home to worry about. 

A friend asked, "Vincent, are you going to run with your mask?"

I replied with a smile (he couldn't see my smile since I was wearing mask. lol!) , "I will remove my mask after we are all flagged off and runners are spread out during the race."

4 of us tried to be standing together at start line before flag off. 

The sky was still rather dark at around 5.30am. And we were trying to figure out what colour was the 2:00 hour pacer balloons. 

We spotted the yellow 2:15 hour pacer balloons first. Then we finally managed to identify the "dark blue" being 2:00 hour pacer balloons. 

At that point, we couldn't see who the 2:00 hour pacers were as our sights were blocked by packed runners in front of us. But we know we just gotta fix our eyes on the dark blue balloons.

Photo courtesy of Chan Wk

Photo courtesy of Chan Wk

Then I turned to Marcus and said, "Please don't bother about me should I fall behind. You go ahead to follow the 2:00 hour pacers. I will my best to keep up with you and the pacers."

Seriously - I wouldn't know if I could even run a sub 2 hour after 3 years' absence.

I didn't want to feel any pressure to keep up at 2:00 hour pace, which is 5:40 min / km average pace. 

My age is also catching up. I'm 3 years older now with more grey hair, more wrinkles, and getting tired even more easily. I suspect my speed would have dropped too. 

Hence, I made up my mind not to give myself pressure, but to treat the 21km race as a normal weekend LSD. And I should use the race to gauge my fitness level in preparation for running full marathon at KLSCM in November.


2. First 4 km : chasing 2 hr pacers' dark blue balloons

Photo courtesy of ActionPix Malaysia.

As and when we were flagged off at 5.30am for the 21km half marathon,  2,133 runners cheered with thunderous applause and cheerful shouts as they took off from the start line. 

Everyone was so excited about being able to race again!

Marcus started to break way from the pack and overtake runners from the start as he was chasing the 2:00 hour pacers' dark blue balloons. 

As for the remaining 3 of us, we were already falling behind, being sandwiched amongst the runners who also struggled to break away. 

After 1 km, I couldn't spot Marcus anymore, but I could still see the dark blue balloons.

It seemed that the 2:00 hour pacers ran very fast from the beginning. 

I tried to catch up and I ran as fast as I could. My lung was bursting and my mouth was wide open panting even before we reached 3km - first water station. 

My Maimo fitness watch without GPS couldn't give accurate readings. Hence, I didn't even bother to check my distance (I could always look at distance marking along the route), or pace (since it's not accurate) or time (since it didn't mean much without pace and distance recorded accurately in my watch). 

After taking a glass of water from the volunteer, I continued to run as fast as I could. 

By then, the 2:hour pacers' dark blue balloons were getting further and further ahead of me. 

I told myself I really couldn't keep up at such a pace for the remaining 17-18 km or so. I might either pass out or injure myself.

At KM4, I gave up chasing 2 hour pacers already. I couldn't even see the balloons in front of me by then. 

I was frustrated and demotivated knowing that the chance to finish 21km within 2 hours was impossible! Realising this at such an early stage of a race at KM4 made me feel even worse - emotionally, mentally and physically. 

Hence, I opted for my backup plan:

"As long as I don't see 2:15 hr pacers with orange balloons overtaking me before I reach finish line, I will still be pretty happy with the sub 2:15 hour result."

Haha! That backup plan instantly put a smile on my face and my pressure to achieve sub 2 was immediately uplifted! My body felt so much lighter after making the decision not to chase after the impossible sub 2 hour timing. 

Oh well, there was still pressure (not wanting 2:15 hr pacers to overtake), but the pressure wasn't so great because I already had a head start in front of them.

Hence, I officially said, "Good bye, sub 2 hours!" at KM4 as dark blue balloons were no longer in sight.


3. KM4 onwards : run by feel

Photo courtesy of Chan Wk

After taking a short break to keep my breathing under control, I adjusted my running cadence, listened to my music, and started to run again. 

Since I could no longer follow any pacers' balloons, and I couldn't trust the readings on my Maimo fitness watch for my pace, there was no way I would know how fast I ran, at what pace I ran, or whether I was on target to achieve sub 2:15 hours.

What should I do then?

Then it dawned upon me that almost similar situation happened to me when I ran 42km full marathon at Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon in 2015. 

Here is what I wrote in my race report back then (You can read my Hong Kong Marathon 2015 race report by clicking here):

"My Garmin GPS watch failed to locate the GPS location at start line - making me very nervous, disappointed and almost cursed 4-letter word. Left with no choice, I decided to switch off the GPS totally after 400m into the race. This means that for the very first time at FM, I ran without a GPS watch and a pace to watch out for. Truly nerve-wrecking not knowing my pace throughout the distance. 

Anyway - I decided to listen to my body and run at a pace that allowed me to breath comfortably throughout first 30km."

Viola! Suddenly I felt motivated! 

Yes, I should adopt the same running strategy as how I ran full marathon at Hong Kong Marathon 2015 without a GPS watch. 

I should just listen to my body and run at a pace that would allow me to breath comfortably throughout the remaining 17 km.

Hence, with such motivation, I just focused on my running form and rhythm - one step left, one step right, keep moving forward landing on my mid foot in a consistent running cadence. I also used music played on my iPhone on my armband to help me achieve consistent running rhythm. 

I also focused on my breathing - keeping my mouth loosely closed, inhaling and exhaling with my nose as comfortably as possible.

Using similar strategy as in Hong Kong Marathon 2015, I also tried to keep up with any runners who ran slightly faster than me. 

I would then my best to follow behind them. 

Once I felt comfortable with their pace, I would then increase my speed by opening up my stride while maintaining same cadence. I would then slowly overtake them.

I repeated the same strategy over and over again.

One runner at a time. 

Of course there were faster runners who overtook me. 

When I knew I couldn't keep up with them, I wouldn't and didn't intend to chase them. 

I only chose those runners who are slightly faster or at equal speed as me to pace and overtake.

My focus was my breathing. My focus was my feel. My focus was my running form. My focus was my running rhythm. I just wanted to be able to control my running form throughout. 

After all, running 21km at Twincity was supposed to be one of my weekly LSD training, leading to a full marathon race in November.

Since I only decided to run this 21km at the last minute the night before, I didn't prepare any energy bar. Hence, I solely relied on the water stations and my isotonic drink throughout the race. In fact, I stopped at every water station for a cup of mineral water or isotonic drink. I also thanked the volunteers as I grabbed the water cup from them.

Soon enough, I entered into a "me" zone: a time space of "I, me and myself."

As in any races, I usually pray when I run. 

I know running a long distance, in particular a full marathon or an ultra marathon, I can never depend on my own strength.  I know I need a strength and power larger than myself to overcome it. Many runners hit the wall at KM30 in a full marathon. I hit the wall at KM30 in almost all of my full marathons. Hence, I pray!

As I entered my own "zone" during my run by feel, a few unforgettable visions / memories flashed through my mind. 

a. Memories of my late beloved mom 

I ran Twincity Marathon 2016 on January 24, 2016 - the first race after my mom's passing away a month before. It was the race that lifted me out of my depression. I also had comfort and peace with visions of my late mom during the race. It was a race specially dedicated to my beloved mom. I felt like this run brought me back to Twincity Marathon 2016 - when I had lots of conversations with my mom and God during the race to help me overcome my pain back then! Today, I feel more at peace after 6.5 years has passed. 

b. Memories of late Evelyn Ang, the runner cum pacer who was hit by a car and passed away

I took many photos with our dear runner friend Evelyn Ang at Twincity Marathon 2017. She was a blogger. She was a runner. She was full of love and compassion. She was hit by a car while she ran as a pacer. Her joyful uplifting spirit always reminds me to live life fully!

c. A "voice"

During the run with prayer, I heard a voice saying lovingly, "Come back to me! I will give you rest!" I believe it's from God. I know what exactly it meant. It hit me! Since it's personal, I will not share here. But from that moment onwards, I felt peace of God was upon me. My worries and burdens that I found unbearable at times, I knew God would help me carry. God has given His assurance to me through this close encounter. It's also because of this encounter that I believe it was probably God who decided that the runner who was going to run this race would not be able to make it at last minute. And I was his replacement so that I would end up having this encounter and assurance.


Photo courtesy of Seven Days Photography 

To be honest, I prefer to run full marathon than a half marathon. I am not comfortable with lung-bursting speed running like 10km or even 21km! Some of my friends also ran full marathon at Twincity. They asked me to join couple months back. I told them I wasn't ready. After the pandemic, I felt like I needed more time to train and prepare myself for the long-suffering 4-6 hours of "happy torture" on the road in a full marathon. Mentally, I am not ready as well.

When I started to see some full marathoners at some points (i.e. at 16km for half marathon, which is 30km for full marathon) during the race, I had nothing but respects for them. I believe those full marathoners that I saw were sub 4 FM runners perhaps. I also envisioned I was one of them running full marathon. That shows how much I missed running an FM! But at the same time, I was glad I wasn't running 42km on that day! I knew I would have hit the wall and ended up finishing the race with a poor timing. 

Back to 21km half marathon....

I continued to listen to my body, running at a pace that allowed me to breath comfortably, opening up my stride to overtake whenever I felt comfortable in doing so, slowing down my pace whenever I felt I wasn't breathing comfortably.

I could see the distance marks. 

But I didn't know my pace / speed. I didn't look at my inaccurate Maimo watch for time as well.

I had no idea when I would cross the finish line; or how long it would take me to cross the finish line. 

I was focusing on the "now" moment of running. 

I was not bothered by the finish time anymore. 

It was just the "me" moment of running!


300-500 meters to finish line: 2:00 hour pacers stood there cheering 


When I was approaching the last right turn towards the Stat / Finish Line, suddenly I saw 2:00 pacers' dark blue balloons again from a far!

I couldn't believe my own eyes. 

I didn't bother to check on my watch to see my time at that few hundred metres from finish line. (In fact the whole race I didn't look at my watch at all.) I just didn't understand why I could still see the 2:hour pacers only a few hundred meters to finish line.

I was shocked and I started to talk to myself, 
  • "What? What happened? How come I could see the dark blue balloons again near finish line?"
  • "... Oh wait! How come the dark blue balloons are not moving? Why are the 2:00 hour pacers not turning right and running to cross the finish line?"
Still, the dark blue balloons were still floating at same spot, not moving at all!

More questions popped up in my mind,
  • "Hmmmm! Are the 2:hour pacers waiting for us to cross the finish line together?"
  • "Hmmmm! Did the 2:hour pacers run too fast so they are waiting few hundred metres before crossing finish line in order to clock their time closer to 2 hours?"
Many questions popped into my mind on why I could still see the 2:hour pacers, and why they just stood there and did not cross the finish line.

Oh well, it looked like I still had a chance to break the 2:hours barrier. 

I then instantly became very inspired and motivated. 

I opened up my stride, picked up my speed with the same cadence and running rhythm. 

I ran as fast as I could towards the dark blue balloons hoping they would still be there when I finally caught up with them.

Unbelievable! Soon I could see both the 2:hour pacers - Khairul and Nelsonn with the pacer balloons!

They were cheering for us.

As I ran near them, I asked them excitedly, "Can I still make it into sub 2:hours?"

Their reply, "Yes! You can! Quick! Quick! You still can make it!"

Wow! That was like the most exciting, most uplifting news to me!

I said thanks to both of them. Then I quickly turned right towards last dash to finish line.

What appeared in front of me was the Finish Line. 

What was in the sight was more runners and supporters cheering on for us runners doing our last bit to cross the finish line!

And the emcee announcers announcing the names of runners crossing the line!

Oh wow! I really missed this exciting race atmosphere! I was so thrilled to be soaking in the energetic, positive, vibrant atmosphere again after 3 long years!

I put on my smile. 

And I ran to cross the finish line happily! 


Finish line - a surprised sub 2 finish time


Once I reached the 21km finish line, I looked at my watch for the very first time since start line. 

My Maimo watch showed 18.89km on distance, t:54:32 on time, and 6:03 min/km on average pace. I was so disappointed with my watch. 

I just ran 21km half marathon. But my watch showed only 18.89km, more than 2km off!

Maimo fitness watch - inaccurate readings



Good that we could then check on our race result from www.checkpoint.asia



Fastest pace: 5:05 min/km

Beautiful 21km finisher medal and finisher t-shirt.
I gave both back to the registered runner who gave me the chance to run.
Many thanks to him for the opportunity to run! 


Wow! To my pleasant surprise, I could achieve net time of 1:54:24. 

When I looked at my pace, I even ran at a pace of 5:05 min / km at CP3 (KM8). That was a speed I never ran before in a race! haha! I was elated! I had to rub both of my eyes to double confirm!

I'm very grateful for being able to run at this half marathon.

I'm very surprised with my finish time as well, not my best, but I'm very happy!

I didn't prepare for this half marathon because I didn't register for it. The decision was made to run the night before.

I didn't have energy bar or power gel during the race.

I didn't have a GPS watch to tell me average pace, current pace, time and distance.

Besides the first 4km trying to keep up with 2:00 hour pacers, I ran the remaining distance based on feel without checking on time and pace. 

The decision to "listen to my body and run at a pace that allows me to breath comfortably throughout..." was the right decision. 

I must thank my dear friend Marcus for this opportunity to run indeed. 

I must also thank his friend for the slot run. In fact, I gave the beautiful 21km finisher medal and finisher t-shirt back to the registered runner. Both finisher items belong to him. I'm just glad he allowed me to run this as part of my weekly LSD training. 

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention about my running shoe Asics Evoride 2. It was my first time wearing this shoe to run after I retired my Saucony Kinvara 12. This Asics Evoride 2 was recommended by Wind Runners' Manager Lee Teck Wai to me couple months back. Initially I wasn't used to it. But after a few runs, I feel very comfortable to run with Asics Evoride 2. I'm glad I decided to wear it to run this 21km at Twincity Marathon.

I know my age is catching up. 

But this race has unexpectedly helped to boost my ever decreasing self-confidence in running. 

After this race, I am telling myself, "I am not giving up to give my best in running yet....... just not yet! :)"

This race also boost my self-confidence to "never give up... as yet" in other areas of my life too! 

What a wonderful feeling indeed!

Event venue - catch-ups with runner friends + more photos

After I reached the finish line and while I was waiting for Marcus and 2 other friends, I put my mask back on.

With my iPhone, then I went around excitedly checking out all the facilities at event venue.

I was also looking out at finish line and event venue for any runners whom I know.  By then, some of the full marathon runners had also crossed finish line


Marcus - whom I ran, cycled with countless times. He has helped me a lot too in running.
Thank you for giving me the chance to run, helping to boost up my self confidence in running. 


Marcus and Alvin - I run with them on some weekends recently.

Thank you Khairul for being 2:hour pacer and your cheer near finish line!


Phang - an awesome full marathoner! He ran FM. Congrats to him for awesome timing!
So happy to be able to take photo with him. He is also one of the pacers for Wind Runners. And he has helped me tremendously as I follow his pace a few times on weekend LSD.

An ex-colleague - Ser Sze. I was surprised she could recognise me even with my mask on.
So happy to see her!

Rooney - one of my most respected runners - a very humble person indeed!
One of my idols too! Congrats to him in running a 3:27 full marathon!! 


May Han - regular podium finisher! She is so so fit!
Very inspiring for her fitness level and healthy lifestyle! 

Marcus and his friends! All are happy after finishing 21km race! Congrats to all!


Thank you Marcus once again for everything -
being a running partner, a pacer to me, a running guru to me, etc.
Appreciate your friendship and encouragement in running!


Thank you, Twincity Marathon! I will run again in 2023!

I must say Twincity Marathon is one of my most loved running events in Malaysia. It's so well organised and it's so fun to run!

The mobile toilets, the sports massage tent, the baggage storage area are all properly located for the needs of runners. 

There are many freebies and goodies too - fried beehoon, mashed potatoes, environmental bag, mineral water, banana, coffee, muscle rub gel.

Here are some photos at the event venue:












Twincity Marathon has always brought back many memories for me. 

If not because of pandemic and my lack of training, I would have registered to run 42km at this 7th edition. 

Nonetheless, I'm very happy for being able to run 21km full marathon - my first race in 3years - my first half marathon at Twincity Marathon - and my half marathon race #9.

Will I run Twincity Marathon again in 2023? 

A BIG BIG YES!

And I can't wait to run a full marathon at Twincity Marathon in 2023! I hope by then we live in the normal world without mask again! 

Stay well, stay healthy, and keep running!


Best regards,
Vincent Khor



For future Twincity Marathon's registration:



For my past race reports at Twincity Marathon, here are the links:


Comments