Top 10 All-Time Favorite Carbo Loading Thai Street Food at Silom Road / Convent Road Area in Bangkok

My Top 10 All-time Favorite Carbo Loading Thai Street Food at Silom Road / Convent Road Area in Bangkok

I just finished my last article sharing on running at Lumpini Park - the green lung of metropolitan city Bangkok - during my business trips.

Well - after all the runs, I would be torturing myself if I don't indulge myself in the delicious yummy Thai street food at Silom Road which is very close to the hotel where I usually stay. :)


Furthermore, I have excuses to eat more! haha! No wonder I always put on weight whenever I visit Bangkok for work or leisure. :)

Since business trips are also in a rush, and I prefer to eat on the streets instead of restaurants, I end up eating almost the same thing every night during my business trips. I have nothing to complain because I simply love Thai Street Food. :)



Where to find the best Thai street food in one location?

I have found it all at Silom Road and Convent Road in Bangkok. These 2 roads are street food haven for me! :)

I usually end up having my dinner on the streets, most times at Silom Road and Convent Road area since it's very close to the hotel and office - enjoying the Thai street food to the max. :)

Boring me!! But it also shows how much I love the dishes.

The location is quite easy to find. It's close to Sala Daeng Station at Silom Road on the Silom Complex side. 


Silom Road
In fact, the whole long stretch at Silom Road outside of Silom Complex is where all the street food is - a long with all the street vendors selling other staff. 

Convent Road
To go to Convent Road, just walk towards CP All Co. Ltd which you will see a huge 7-11 outlet at the corner of Silom Road and Convent Road. Turn left into the street. That's Convent Road.  Easy right?

Along both Silom Road and Convent Road, you can also see many local Thai Street Food. But if you were to be there on Monday evenings, the tendency is that the streets are very quiet. You see - Monday is the street cleaning day. No street vendors are allowed on the street. I have learned this from my Thai colleagues.  So please avoid Monday if you really want to try out local Thai street food in Silom Road and Convent Road area in Bangkok.


Silom Road and Convent Road - Thai Street Food Haven!

My top 10 all-time favourite carbo loading Thai street food at Silom Road / Convent Road in Bangkok

Below is my top 10 list of Thai street food I won't miss. Must try at least once in your life time if you haven't done so! :) Good for carbo loading before and after runs too! 

Surprise! Surprise! You won't see Tom Yum on the list! :)


1. Thai Kway Chap 


I rate is #1 Kway Chap on my list! Never tried any other Kway Chap better than this! Must try!

This Thai noodle soup is made of herbal broth, with pork, bean curd, intestines ( if you want), mint leaves, eggs and the rolled-up noodles.

In Malaysia, I can not find Kway Chap as nice as this. And this Thai Kway Chap at Convent Road (outside of Banana Leaf restaurant) is super duper nice!! I remember one time I eat it EVERY NIGHT for 3 nights in row!! And for the first night, I ate 2 bowls too!!

Please go there before 8.30 pm. Otherwise, it might be sold out!

How to order in Thai?

It's called "Kway Chap" in Thai as well. Sounds very Hakka (one of Chinese dialects).  If you don't want the intestines, just point to the intestines and say, "Ni - Phom Mai Au" (This - I don't want!) :)

Haha! There you go - with my limited Thai vocabulary!


Where to get?
Outside Banana Leaf Restaurant, Convent Road, Bangkok


It's a joy to sit on the road side eating local food, listening to other eaters chit chatting in soft song-like Thai language, and watch the world go by..... :) Rather relaxing for me too!


See the sign "Banana Leaf" restaurant" This stall is right outside. Don't go there too late. Sold out by 8.30pm or so.



2. Green Papaya Salad / Som Tam 


Super delicious! Som Tam! If without crab and not spicy, please say, "Tam Thai Mai Phet"
Papaya salad is no stranger to many!! I prefer to eat papaya salad made by street vendor instead of from restaurant. Cheap, authentic and nice!

How to order in Thai?

It's called "Som Tam" in Thai language.

I usually don't like to put the pickled fresh water crabs and don't like it to be too spicy. The chili can be rather very spicy. They usually will put 2-3. But I prefer to have only 1 chili. haha!

So if you are the same as me, you can then say, " Tam Thai Mai Phet" (Green Papaya salad without crab and not spicy).

Hehe! Do I sound Thai this round? lol!


Where to get?

Outside Liberty Square at Convent Road, Bangkok

The stall that I have my som tam (green papaya salad) is right across the street from where the Kway Chap food stall is. You won't miss it. I have the photo of the street vendor below for you. haha!

Since there is no place to sit down to eat, you can actually eat the Thai Chicken Rice close by and bring over. Alternatively, you can order then sit down at the stairs right outside Liberty Square building.

While eating your green papaya salad, you can also enjoy the world go by!

As for me, I usually tapau / pack back to hotel to eat while watching TV. :)



All the ingredients - fresh and raw!


My most favourite Som Tam food stall at Convent Road


Can't wait to eat my som tam!




3. Egg Noddle Soup with Prawn Wonton and Red Roast Pork / Bami Mu Daeng



Egg Noddle Soup with Prawn Wonton and Red Roast Pork
This is originally a Chinese dish. But it is quite common in Thailand now. It's often served with chillies in vinegar, and dried chilli flakes. 

The portion is rather small compared to Malaysia's. So eat 2 bowls if you want. 

How to order in Thai? 

It's called  "Bami Mu Daeng" :)


Where to get?

Outside of 7-11 outlet at the T-junction of Silom Road and Convent Road




4. Sticky Rice with Grilled Chicken  / Kao Man Kai

Sticky Rice with grilled chicken - with green papaya salad.
I eat this at Sathorn Road, right outside our Bangkok office in Empire Tower building. It's on the road side, outside of the outdoor food court center which is usually busy during the day time or the office crowd but closed at night.

The grilled chicken is very tender, moist and soft. It tastes even better when dipped into the speciall made Thai chili sauce.

The sticky rice? It's heavenly! It's like the sticky rice that comes with the mango ( "mango sticky rice").

This stall is also only open during nights. You can see many Thai people eating there as well. A bit far out from Silom Road and Convent Area.

Alternatively, you can look for sticky rice with grilled chicken along Silom Road as well. I believe the taste will be pretty much similar! :)

And do eat with som tam the green papaya salad!! Surely it's a balanced meal!!


How to order in Thai? 

It's called "Kao Man Kai" :)


Where to get?

Outside of Empire Tower at Sathorn Road; or similar street food vendor at Silom Road.

soft, warm sticky rice!


This food stall is outside of Empire Tower, outside of the outdoor food court center.


yum yum! so tender, moist and delicious! it tastes even better when dipped into the specially made Chili sauce! Finger licking good!


5. Thai Stir-Fried Flat Rice Noodle with Pork (Pad See-Ew Moo)


Thai stir-fried flat rice noodle with pork

What can I say? I love this Thai stir-fried flat rice noodle with pork much better than Pad Thai, another popular Thai stir-fried rice noodle dish. Pad Thai comes with less wide rice noodle compared to Pad See-Ew Moo. And it's sweet with the peanuts and the sauce.

But for Pad See-Ew Moo, it is stir-fried with soy sauce. Not as sweet as Pad Thai. I would say Pad See-Ew Moo is my most favourite stir-fried Thai noodle after trying others.

Check out the photo below of Pad See-Ew Moo. If you haven't tried, please try it!! You will love it!

You can't find it displayed because it needs to be cooked fresh. So look for street food vendors selling dishes to be ordered. Most likely you can order your Pad See-Ew Moo there.

For me, I love the Thai stir-fried noodle with pork at the food stall at Convent Road right outside of another 7-11 before the Swiss Lodge.



How to order in Thai? 

It's called "Pad See-Ew Moo".


Where to get?

Convent Road, right outside a 7-11 outlet before Swiss Lodge if you walk from Silom Road area.

6. Thai Stir-fried minced pork with basil leave over rice / Khao Pad Ka-Krao


Thai Stir-fried minced pork with basil leave over rice / Khao Pad Ka-Krao - a very authentic Thai dish which you can see many Thai eat it for breakfast, for lunch or for dinner!

It's my favourite too when I get too hungry and crave for rice! :)

It's  stir-fried dish with minced pork. dried chili, and basil leaves. Usually there is lots of garlic too. And it is commonly served with sunny side egg on the side.

Whenever I eat this, my mouth will be wide open - because it's super spicy!!! haha! But definitely yummy!!


How to order in Thai?

It's called "Khao Pad Ka-Krao"


Where to get?

Same stall as Thai Stir-Fried Flat Rice Noodle with Pork at Convent Road outside 7-11 outlet right before Swiss Lodge along convent road.



7. Thai rice vermicelli with chili sauce made of fish and curry / Ka Nom Jeen
 Thai rice vermicelli with chili sauce made of fish and curry / Ka Nom Jeen

This is a very unique dish! It tastes a bit like Malaysia's LAKSA! :) Just different type of noodle!

But for the Thai rice vermicelli with chili sauce made of fish and curry, it is healthier because you will pour the raw vegetables (bitter gourd, long beans, basil leaves, lettuce) and pickled salted vegetables into the dish and eat together.

So it's rather filling with lots of vegetables. I would say it's very healthy too! I love this dish!!


How to order in Thai?

It's called "Ka Nom Jeen".


Where to get?

I have it around Empire Tower at Sathorn. But I also see it on the road side of Silom Road. So do check it out around that area.




8. Mango Sticky Rice with Coconut Milk / Khao Niao Mamuang

Yum yum! Mango sticky rice with coconut milk! It's so every popular that you can buy it off any street in Thailand.


How to order in Thai?

It's called "Khao Niao Mamuang".


Where to get?

Along Silom Road, Bangkok at night, especially outside the Liberty Square Building.



9. Sen Lek Num (or full name: Sen Lek Num Look Chin Moo)

Sen Lek Num (or full name: Sen Lek Num Look Chin Moo)




I believe you have seen this noodle soup almost every where in Thailand. It's a very popular noodle soup - usually served with dried chili sprayed on top of the soup to eat for the extra spiciness.

I for one like to pour the been sprouts, basil leaves all into the soup before eating to make it a very nutritious meal!


How to order in Thai?

It's called "Sen Lek Num (or full name: Sen Lek Num Look Chin Moo)".


Where to get?

Along Silom Road close to Silom Complex area, or along Convent Road.




10. Thai Iced Tea with Milk (Cha Yen)



Thirsty? Never think twice! Famous Thai Iced Tea it's!! You will never regret!

It's kind of sweet though with the condensed milk. Thai people like to eat sweet things. But with the ice, it will dilute the sweetness a bit.

It tastes especially good under the scorching hot sun of Bangkok. Truly a great thirst cruncher!! Nothing tops the Thai Iced Tea with Milk!!

I surely drink minimum 1 for each business trip to Bangkok.


How to order in Thai?

It's called "Cha Yen".


Where to get?

Any where in Thailand. You can also easily get in at Silom Road at night (except Monday night).



Bonus (or could have been #11?): Black Sesame Soy Milk Drink

By the way, I would also like to recommend Black Sesame Soy Milk Drink which you can easily buy at any convenience stores (7-11, Family Mart, etc).

See - I'm a sucker for cow milk and soybean milk!! haha! And I love anything that's black! Charcoal bread, black soybean milk, etc.

In Thailand, getting this black sesame soybean milk drink is a must for me!! I even brought a dozen back to Kuala Lumpur before. That shows how much I love this!

Perhaps it's the nice fragrant of the black sesame that makes this otherwise normal soybean milk truly special!! 


It's a wrap!

There you go! My top 10 all-time favorite Thai street food all found at Silom Road / Convent Road area in Bangkok - with a bonus on the black sesame 

I hope you enjoy the top 10 list and make your mouth salivating for Thai street food. :)




Written on 2016.04.24


Comments

  1. Ehmmmm sound yummy.. yummy.. great inspirations.. will try it when get chance to be there haaahaa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment