Afterthought: I dreamed a dream by Susan Boyle



Usually when I write, I would play music stored in my home laptop. Until today I'm still not very used to listen to streaming music. I have tried. But perhaps it is due to the intermittent slow speed of my Internet connection (via YES by YTL), I have decided to stick to my limited music library in my laptop.

This morning I listened to Susan Boyle's album "I dreamed a dream." dated back to 2009. Surprisingly how the same song can give different impact and meaning at different stage of life


Below lyrics really hit me hard today:

I had a dream from my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different  now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.

And I tell myself I definitely don't want that to happen to me.

When Susan Boyle popularized this song 7-8 years ago, it was just one of the many powerful songs I liked. At that time, I was still living life as if there was still many tomorrows. Yes, just like most of us, I do have many dreams too in life. Even though I got frustrated many times over for not being able to live or chase after my dreams, I always managed to give myself excuses to delay my dreams, again and again.

I dreamed a dream.... but losing my mom has waken me up from my dream to face reality. A cruel awakening!

Coincidentally, my current age now is not far away from Susan Boyle when she went for her first audition at Britain's Got Talent in 2009. 

Mid life crisis? :)

I'm glad nowadays I didn't just dream a dream, I chase after a dream.

     A dream of bettering my motivator Oprah Winfrey's time, I'm living it now.

     A dream of running sub 4 hour one day..  I'm living it now.

     A dream of being a triathlete one day... I'm living it now.

     A dream of writing blog one day... I'm living it now.

     A dream of not holding myself back anymore in life... I'm slowly to live it now too.

And I hope to make this "living a dream" list longer as time passes.

I would like to dedicate this song to all of us.

Let's not let life kill the dream we dream. Let's live our dream today.


I dreamed a dream (2009) by Susan Boyle




I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high and life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I prayed that God would be forgiving


Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted


But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hopes apart
And they turn your dreams to shame


Still I dream he'd come to me
And we would live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather


I had a dream from my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different  now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.


Written on 2016.10.01

Comments