香港南记粉糆 Hong Kong Nam Kee's Jumbo Noodle Soup (珍宝米线): My Most Favourite Noodle Soup in Hong Kong



How much more boring can I be in terms of food choices? 😜

I just got back from my Hong Kong business trip last night, During the 3-day 2-night business travel, I ended up eating same noodle soup at same shop 2 nights in a row. 😜😜

In fact, I was also in Hong Kong 2 months ago (November 2016) for business trip. And guess it - I also ate same noodle soup at same shop 2 nights in a row.😜😜

Ain't I a boring person?


There are so many wonderful mouth watering food and fine restaurants in Hong Kong. Why I ended up eating same old same old noodle soup every night in Hong Kong?

Yes, I wanted to be more adventurous. But I'm not the type who is really crazy for food. Anything simple, convenient in a comfortable setting fits me best. This noodle shop is close to the hotel I stay. And the noodle is really super delicious. To be fair, I have also tried many other noodles in different restaurants and noodle shops before in Hong Kong. But I still love this one the best - hands down!! :)

Therefore, I would like to take this opportunity to share with you my most favorite noodle shop Nam Kee Noodle 南记粉糆 in Hong Kong and my most favorite noodle : Jumbo Noodle 珍宝米线 with sweet and sour soup 酸辣汤.


香港南记粉糆 Hong Kong Nam Kee

Nam Kee Noodle Shop has 19 outlets all over Hong Kong. The outlet that I frequent 2 nights in a row last week and 2 nights in a row in November 2016 is located at Morrison Hill Road, Wan Chai , Hong Kong (香港灣仔摩理臣山道1-3號地下), close to the Bowrington Road Market (鵝頸橋街市).


Nam Kee Noodle Shop - the outlet at Morrison Hill Road, close to Bowrington Road Market.


At the cross interaction of Morisson Hill Road and Wan Chai Road, walking distance from Causeway Bay MTR station as well.


Hong Kong Nam Kee Noodle Shop 香港南记粉糆 has a very simple setup. Fast, efficient, convenient. What you need to do is just to walk straight to the counter with the large monitor showing the menu of a wide variety of noodle selections. Usually there is a queue - any hours of the day - even more during lunch and dinner hours. But be patient, this is typical life in Hong Kong.

The wonderful thing is that Hong Kong Nam Kee Noodle Shop 香港南记粉糆 is not a place to sit down for a long relaxing long chat or catch up with friends. It's more like a noodle fast-food restaurant without sacrificing the wonderful good quality and delicious taste of fresh noodles.

Therefore, you can still find seats once you receive your order or you can just simply share a table with others. In Hong Kong, table sharing is a norm. So don't feel shy or awkward. :)



Queue up to place order. Menu is on the large computer monitor screen on the wall.

Menu

The menu is displayed on a large computer monitor on the wall next to the cash counter.

It has a wide variety of noodles to choose from, ranging from vermicelli noodles 米线 to flat rice noodles 河粉

Once you decide on the noodle type, you can choose what soup paste you want to go with it:

1. Tomato soup 蕃茄
2. Spicy and Numbing soup 麻辣 (with Mala sauce: a popular oily, spicy, and numbing Chinese sauce which consists of Sichuanese peppercorn, chili pepper and various spices simmered with oil).
3. Hot and Sour soup  酸辣
4. Clear soup

Usually the noodle comes with signature spring roll 招牌春卷beef ball 牛丸fish cake 鱼饼, fish gelatin鱼胶 and fish ball鱼丸. It also comes with sprinkles of fresh vegetables or fermented vegetables for its sourish taste.  Of course you can select some other types of toppings (i.e. seaweed) as well.







Recommendation: Jumbo noodle soup with vermicelli noodles in hot and sour soup (珍宝米线酸辣汤)

If you haven't eaten at Hong Kong Nam Kee before, I would recommend you to start off with what I have eaten 2 nights in a row, 2 trips in a row: Nam Kee's Jumbo Noodle Soup with vermicelli noodles in hot and sour soup. Then you will understand why I never got bored with this noodle soup. 😊

My favorite: jumbo noodle soup with vermicelli noodles in hot and sour soup (珍宝米线酸辣汤)


Yes, this noodle soup will never go wrong. It's listed on top of the menu list. It's called jumbo because it has everything: signature spring roll 招牌春卷beef ball 牛丸fish cake 鱼饼, fish gelatin鱼胶, fish ball鱼丸, vegetables and hot pickled mustard tuber 榨菜。

Even though there is a chef's recommendation sign on the spicy and numbing (mala) soup, I personally still prefer the hot and sour soup.



I can tell you - all the toppings - fish cakes, fish gelatin, squid ball, fish balls, beef balls are very fresh and in high quality!! I also noticed that people in Hong Kong love to eat fish balls, beef balls, etc. Everything round!! :) I asked my HK colleague before and I was told that they like things fast!! That explains why their work is also super efficient and fast!! A fast-paced life!!

And the soup - the hot and sour soup - the best I have ever tasted!!

It has this sweetish sourish taste to it with its spiciness

It tastes especially super delicious during cold weather. And during my recent 2 trips in Nov 2016 and January 2017, both times happened to be rather cold!! Therefore, I have found this dish to my super liking - keeping me warm. :) And the spiciness reminds me of home with my spicy taste bud. :)


See the counter behind me in the below picture? That is the collection counter! 

Once you pay, you will be given a receipt and a number. Then you need to wait at collection / pickup counter to pick up your dish. Super efficient and fast!!







Now you see - now you don't!😄

The noodle soup is so so nice that I finished the noodle along with the soup!!! :) 

And I don't feel thirsty at all after consuming the soup!! That shows little Ajinomoto being added into the soup making.


It's only after you try it yourself that you will understand why I never get sick of this super delicious noodle soup in Hong Kong. I don't mind being labeled a boring guy. :) I eat what I love - many times over, repeatedly!! And this is one of the dishes I would anytime go for it in Hong Kong!

If you manage to try it one day when in Hong Kong, please drop my a comment on your own eating experience! I hope you enjoy the dish!! 

Happy eating!


Where to find Hong Kong Nam Kee Noodle Shop



Website           : click here
Branch location: click here



Written on 2017.01.21

Comments