Product Review: Ultra-light reflective vest / belt for ultra marathons


Reflective vest is one of the mandatory gears for the upcoming Route 68 Challenge 2017. As I haven't run an ultra before, I don't have a reflective vest.

This has put me into a hunt for a light-weight reflective vest that I can feel comfortable wearing that's also value for money. :)


Search for the right reflective vest ...

I started my search at Daiso, Daiso doesn't have reflective vest even though I was told by some runners that I could find it there.

Then I went to search at Mr. DIY shop. Mr. DIY shop carries the reflective vest that is rather bulky to me. It's more suitable to wear at a construction site for safety reason. But I believe if I were to wear it to run 50 km, I will feel very hot and I might swear profusely. Usually, I like to run light - carry as little as possible - wear as light as possible. So I came out of DIY shop empty handed.

The idea of buying elastic polyester and has it custom-made also crossed my mind. 😄


As my anxiety built up worrying that I might not be able to find the right reflective vest before the event, a friend sent me link to Lazada website with all sorts of reflective vests with different price range. I was in cloud 9 seeing the wide variety of choices for reflective vest / belt at Lazada website.

Below are some of the options - from the very traditional type to trendy, ultra light type.


I'm so excited when seeing so many choices with reasonable price!

Ok ok - the thick long sleeve safety vest is not for me - otherwise I would be soaking wet with my sweat if I run with it!


My choice of reflective vest


After much considerations, I have decided to go for:

Hi Vis High Viz Visibility Vest Waistcoat Jacket Security Reflective Belt HS688

Reasons?
  • Looks simple and uncomplicated yet fashionable (I love simplicity)
  • Light weight which I love since I like to run light
  • Very reasonable price @ RM27.50 inclusive of GST


Hi Vis High Viz Visibility Vest Waistcoat Jacket Security Reflective Belt HS688


Product Specifications

Features

  • Florescent green color for more visibility
  • 360 degree reflective and visible, highly reflective at night and highly visible in the day
  • Extra wide straps for comfort an wider reflective surface
  • Quick lock and release belt buck up, easily adjustable with POP buttons
  • Breathable material to keep cool in warmer conditions
  • Lightweight and comfortable
  • Conveniently fold up for easy storage

Specifications

  • Material                      : Elastic Polyester
  • Color                           : Florescent green
  • Width                          : 4 cm / 1.6 in
  • Shoulder strap length  : 130 cm / 51 in
  • Waist length                : 130 cm / 51 in
  • Waist range                 : 62-125 cm / 24-49 in
  • Wrist length                : 35.5 cm / 14 in
  • Weight                        : 120 g

Package includes

  • 1 x reflective vest
  • 2 x reflective wrist band


    User experience

    I received my first ever reflective vest / belt in the mail after 1.5 weeks. I was so excited when I unboxed it not knowing if the product would match what was described in Lazada. I am particularly concerned on the quality of a RM 27.50 product.

    Immediately, I gave it a try!


    Front view of Hi Vis High Viz Visibility Vest Waistcoat Jacket Security Reflective Belt HS688


    Back view of  Hi Vis High Viz Visibility Vest Waistcoat Jacket Security Reflective Belt HS688

    Testing out the reflective vest and headlamp! So excited about my virgin 50km ultra marathon.

    This is how it looks like from the back. I think I should have lowered the belt further

    Wah! What is that? Supposed to be reflective wrist band but too long! So I tried it on my arm. :)
    Reflective write band on my wrist. I think my wrist is too small or the reflective wrist band is too long.

    The complete package: Hi Vis High Viz Visibility Vest Waistcoat Jacket Security Reflective Belt HS688


    Final verdict?

    Hi Vis High Viz Visibility Vest Waistcoat Jacket Security Reflective Belt HS688 looks pretty much a winner! 👍

    Material used is rather high quality. The workmanship is also excellent! And it fits my taste perfectly!! It's also very fashionable with its ultra-light, simple yet elegant design! I'm very happy and satisfied with my choice! 👍

    I can't wait to use it to run my first 50 km ultra marathon in less than a month's time! 👍

    If you are a novice in ultra marathon just like me, you might be frustrated looking for the perfect reflective vest / belt for yourself. 

    Well, look no more! You shall consider this product: Hi Vis High Viz Visibility Vest Waistcoat Jacket Security Reflective Belt HS688

    You can find it at Lazada  or at xcsource.com.



    Written by Vincent Khor on Feb 28, 2017

    Comments