Running sock review: Newton, Skechers, ASICS


I still remember my first running race experience in November 2010. As a newbie, I wore normal cotton white socks with Admiral non-running shoe to run. Wearing normal cotton white sock to run was awful! My feet sweated and moisture wouldn't get wicked away. Not having proper running shoe to run was equally disastrous! Nonetheless, it was a good first-time racing experience prompting me to start looking out for proper running sock and running shoe. However, I still wore normal cotton sock but changed Admiral to proper running shoe to run in 2011 until I got my first pair of running sock at the end of the year. From 2012 onward, there is no turning back. Running sock all the way in all races! 

I have six (6) pairs of running socks. They are: two (2) pairs of Newton, one (1) pair of Skechers, and three (3) pairs of ASICS running socks. On average, each pair of running socks has lasted for nine (9) months to a year. Some have worn out and are not wearable anymore. Some are also about to wear out. I know I should have changed my running socks more often. It's just that I'm the type of runner who really takes care of my running socks. And if it's not totally worn out, I will not change to new one. But it looks like it's about time for me to shop for new pair of running sock!



Running sock review: Newton, Skechers, ASICS

Running sock review below is purely based on my own personal experience of the running socks I have. My views might be different from yours. It also depends on your personal preference to decide what's the best running socks.

I look for running socks that are 
  • lightweight and thin, with or without cushioning
  • comfortable
  • not causing blister on my feet
  • staying dry by not capturing moisture or having very good ventilation
  • low cut as I prefer "bare minimum" feel

1. Newton low cut performance running sock (overall rating: 8/10)


Thanks to Newton New Year 25 km Challenge 2012! In the race entry pack, it came with a pair of the classic Newton low cut performance running sock in neon color! It was also the first time for me to receive running sock in a race entry pack. It's simply awesome! I was so excited to finally own a pair of proper running sock. Yohoo!

This classic Newton low cut performance running sock is lightweight, breathable and thin. It keeps my feet dry, cool and offers the optimum fit. 

When I ran wearing Newton running sock, I didn't feel the sock at all! It's so fitting, lightweight! Very impressive! There was also no blister on my feet. However, Newton low cut performance running sock did get a bit wet from my sweaty feet towards the end of a full marathon race . Perhaps my legs were rather tired from 30 km onward, I wished there was a little cushioning to help support me in a full marathon. 

Overall rating: 8/10

I would give Newton low cut performance running sock an overall rating of 8/10 based on my own personal preference and running experience. In my opinion, it's perfect for up to 30 km. It's definitely the running sock for speed. Just wish for a little cushioning to support my tired feet for a full marathon. Well, I have two pairs! That shows me support and liking to the Newton sock!

2. Skechers low ankle height performance running sock (overall rating: 7/10)


I bought a pair of Skechers low ankle height performance running sock, a pair of Skechers GoRun 3 running shoe and a pair of Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 running shoe in Hong Kong back in January 2015. I remember I bought them 2 days before Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon (SCHKM) which was held on January 25, 2015. I then walked the bustling streets of Hong Kong with my new Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 and Skechers low ankle height performance running sock the day before SCHKM to get used to them. To my pleasant surprise, I managed to run my first ever sub 4 hour full marathon the next day - with the new Skechers shoe and sock. What a lasting, memorable impression!

Skechers running sock is made of soft nylon poly blend fabric which provides complete comfort. The moisture control weave is for added comfort. Its awesome design also completes with mesh knit panels for cooling ventilation.

It even comes with wonderful pad for cushioning and support at critical areas:

  • reinforced padded toe and heel
  • padded supportive arch panel
  • stay-put ankle cuff with padded achilles cushion
I really love this Skechers running sock! I love the color! I love the extra pad for cushioning and support. It's thicker than Newton low cut performance running sock for its pad. It still fits like glue to me feet but I could feel its presence (unlike Newton). 

I still experienced wet sock with my sweaty feet at the end of full marathons on hot humid racing days. But it provided me with the much needed cushioning and support for the few extra kilo meters that I needed to run in a full marathon.

One little set back. It seems that the fabric lost its elasticity much faster than Newton (and ASICS too). My Skechers sock has become one size larger after wearing and washing for few times due to wear and tear. At toe area, I found the sock also couldn't withstand the wear and tear, with hole at the bottom due to the frequent frictions with shoe during running.


Overall rating: 7/10

I would give Skechers performance low ankle height running sock an overall rating of 7/10 based on my own personal preference and running experiene. It's excellent for running a full marathon with its specially designed pad for support. Just wish for the fabric not to stretch too fast too soon so that I sock can be even more longer lasting.

ASICS low cut performance running sock (overall rating 9/10)


I received three (3) pairs of ASICS low cut cushion performance running sock from my boss as a gift when she came back from holiday in the United States. Her husband loves ASICS. As her husband was shopping for ASICS shoes and accessories, she decided to buy me ASICS running socks as well. That's how I got introduced to ASICS running sock!!

ASICS low cut cushion performance running sock has targeted cushioning to the toe, heel and lace pad. It keeps feet comfortable in ASICS intensity single tab sock. The seemless toe elimiates bulky toe seam and provides greater comfort. The sole is soft with lace pad cushioning for added comfort. The moisture management and knit-in mesh are rather good for ventilation and breathability. There is even an arch band for support. 

Overall rating: 9/10

I really love ASICS running sock. I find that the design is very good. Even though it's not as lightweight as Newton, and not as tight feeling as Skechers even with the light cushioning, but somehow ASICS fabric makes my feet feel very comfortable. I would give Skechers performance low ankle height running sock an overall rating of 9/10 based on my own personal preference and running experiene. It's excellent for running a full marathon with its specially designed pad for support. It's also durable withstanding the wear and tear. Even though my feet was still wet after full marathons with ASICS running sock. somehow I could bear with it for all the other goodness from ASICS running sock.


So, what should I buy next?

I know for sure I will need to buy myself new pair of running sock soon. In fact, I should buy three (3) pairs instead of only one (1). Running sock is expensive, but I guess it's worth to invest so that I don't end up running future full marathons with very uncomfortable feet.

So, what should I buy next? Newton, Skechers or ASICS?

Personally, I will choose ASICS on my next purchase, depending on there is sale or not. But I don't mind Newton and Skechers either. I have had great experiences running in them. Alternatively, I will also explore other brands like Steigen.

What's your favorite brand of running sock? And why? You can share your comments below to benefit other readers. Thank you very much.


Written by Vincent Khor on August 12, 2017.

Comments