Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 Review After 5 Full Marathons (3 Sub 4 Hours), 1 Half Marathon And 1 Triathlon Sprint in 2015


This Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 review comes 1 year late.

I should have written about it much earlier. But since I only started to keep journals via blogging end September 2015, so I thought of writing a recap of my running journey with Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 in 2015 and saying to Skechers GoMeb Speed 3,

"Thank you Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 
for a wonderful 2015 in running, 
helping me to achieve sub4 for the very first time."

Actually, it was by accident that I bought my first pair of Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 in Hong Kong, 2 days before Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon 2015.

In 2014, I wore only Skechers GoRun 3 US Size 9.5 for all my races.

Since Malaysia doesn't carry half size, I have no choice but to buy Skechers overseas (Taiwan and Hong Kong).




I was eyeing the Skechers GoRun 4, but unfortunately I was told that they don't produce US Size 9.5 anymore. That's when the sales promotor at Hong Kong Island outlet asked me to try the Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 which incidentally carried US Size 9.5.

After trying, I didnt quite like it because the toe box is kind of tight and small. The sales promotor is very knowledgeable and patient. He explained in great lengths to me the difference between Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 and Skechers GoRun 4 that I am most comfortable with.

He even taught me how to tie the shoe laces so that my toes won't go forward hitting the toe box when I run downhill. This is also to prevent black bruised toes.

After being in the outlet for close to 1 hour, I still contemplated to buy the Skechers GoMeb Speed 3.


I ended up buying:


  1. Skechers GoRun 4 (US Size 9.0) which was a bit let down because I wouldn't be able to run full marathon in it due to half size smaller and I didnt want to end up having bruised toes.
  2. Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 (US Size 9.5) which I thought if Meb Keflezighi could wear and win Boston Marathon, why couldn't I wear it and try out?
  3. Skechers racing socks, which turned out to be awesome and ocmfortable.


Not only that, I decided to wear Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 to run Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon 2015, which was held 2 days after my purchase. 

Was I crazy or what? Where is all the knowledge I have learned from reading - about the warning of not running races in new running shoes? Thrown out of the window?



 Well, it seemed that I had not much choice at that time:
  • Black Skechers GoRun 3 that I bought along with me - already exceeded 500 km running in it and quite wore off already.
  • Newly bought Skechers GoRun 4 (US Size 9.0), risking black bruised toes with the 42km race and potentially wet rainy weather.
  • Newly bought Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 (US Size 9.5), which I wasn't so comfortable with and never wore it for a race or even for training before - but the size is perfect.
You guessed it! :) I decided to take a risk by wearing totally brand new Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 (US Size 9.5) to run Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon 2015. 

I told myself - what the heck - I would want to enjoy the Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon 2015 and give myself a totally new experience!

I ended up achieving sub 4 (3:57:57) for the very first time since I started running full marathon in 2012, also an improvement from previous year's Standard Chartered Hong Hong Marathon 2014's time of 4 hours 13 min. (read my race report on SCHKM2014 here )

Thank you, Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 for putting me on cloud 9!

And I have never looked back since.... 

For the subsequent 4 full marathons in 2015 (3R Marathon, Kuching Marathon, Bali Marathon, Penang Bridge International Marathon), I have worn Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 only. And I managed to achieve 2 more Sub 4 in 3R Marathon and Kuching Marathon. 

So it's only fair that I write a very good positive review of Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 here:


Specification


Since I have started to learn midfoot running with Skechers GoRun series, it is very natural that I'm more inclined to having light weight shoes with mid foot support.

The design of Skechers GoMeb Speed 3 is slightly different from Skechers GoRun series. It's a true racing shoe and it comes with lighter weight. 

In fact it weighs only 7.1 oz vs Skechers GoRun 4's 7.8 oz. Much lighter! And it grows to wrap around my feet when I run as if I run barefoot! What a wonderful feeling!

However, the sock liner is not movable like Skechers Go Run 4. But it's light enough even with the sock liner. So no issue for me.


Upper Material
It is composed of an outer layer made of woven mesh over an inner layer of more woven mesh. The material seems to be slightly harder than Skechers Go Run 4 and not as stretchy. I guess for racing shoe, it's meant to be slightly harder. 

When I first wore it, I wasn't too comfortable. May be I was so used to Skechers GoRun series. But after wearing it for a while, I started to love it!


Color
The colors are not as "shouting" as Skechers Go Run 4s. But the design suits me fine. Besides, I got one of my favorite colors - Blue!! I'm a happy soul!


Tongue
Tight and wrap around my feet! No slipping! Very nice!


Sole
The rubber pods are differently designed compared to Skechers GoRun 4. For Skechers GoMeb Speed 3, it's round shape. As you can see, the mid foot area has 4 rubber pods and forefoot area has additional 6 round rubber pods. Not to mention 2 at the heel area.

The mid foot running feeling is still there without the 'bump" feel. But it's not so obvious!



Wear and Tear



As for any other Skechers shoes, the wear and tear is the major issue. What you see is the outcome of 5 full marathons + 1 triathlon 10 km + 1 half marathon 21 km, totaling less than 300 km. By right, it would last min 500 km. That's the reason why I don't use it for training. I wearSkechers GoMeb Speed 3 for races only.

I have spoken to few other running friends and they all feel that Skechers shoes don't last long. So it ends up rather expensive in long term (having to buy new shoes more often).

As for me, I have no choice since I need mid foot running shoe and so far Skechers seems to be helpful for me in correcting my running technique.


Cushioning

This is one of the 2 most favorite parts of the shoes. Another being the toe box push factor which I will cover next.

I would say nice cushioning yet lightweight makes me immediately fall in love with it!

And when running the marathons, the cushioning keeps me firm on the ground. I still can feel the ground as if I am barefoot but the cushioning is much more than Skechers Go Run 4 providing great comfort when running.


Toe Box
Push Factor at Toe box area! Awesome!


It feels tighter and narrower than Skechers Go Run 4. But to be fair, Skechers Go Meb Speed 3 is racing shoe and I was told by the Skechers sales promotor in Hong Kong that it's meant to be narrrow to give the aero dynamic advantage.

Well - I wasn't comfortable with it initially feeling very tight. But I'm surprised that I don't get black toes after full marathons. I guess choosing half size bigger helps.

Oh - my MOST FAVORITE part of Skechers Go Meb Speed 3 is the "push factor" in the toe box area. This "push factor" is considered non-existence in Skechers GoRun series. I'm not sure about other brands of shoes though.

The "push factor" is awesome! I feel that my toes have a grip! And I can "push" forward with my forefoot! 

Not sure whether it's this factor or many factors combined that has made me achieve sub 4 for the very first time (and subsequently 2 more times in 2015), but definitely I love the "push factor".


Summary and Recommendation

In summary I would recommend this shoe to anyone who likes lightweight, almost barefoot feel type of running shoes. Additionally, the midfoot technology will also help in developing midfoot running that prevents knee injuries.

But please - choose half size bigger. 

It's a pity that Skechers Malaysia doesn't carry half size though. I really hope Skechers Malaysia can bring in half size like most other brands. 





Comments