Give back as photographer



Going through Facebook old photos, I realized that I used to take along my old Nikon D5100 DSLR camera to selected running races to take photos for runners back in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

From the photo albums I have created in Facebook for photo sharing, I actually took photos for runners in 11 events so far:

01. Newton Challenge Kuala Lumpur 2014
02. River Jungle Marathon 2014 
03. The Island Ocean Marathon 2014
04. Multi-Purpose Insurance Berhad (MPIB) Run 2013
05. NASAM Walk for Health 2012
06. Multi-Purpose Insurance Berhad (MPIB) Run 2012
07. Malakoff KL Run 2011
08. Nike We Run KL 2011
09. PJ Half Marathon 2011
10. Adidas King of the Road 2011
11. Centro Klang Run 2011




But unfortunately, I didn't manage to do anything to give back to running community last year (2015). It has been bothering me for a while. 

I am happy now that I managed to use my old Nikon D5100 DSLR camera again last Saturday (Sept 3) to take photos for participants of 113 Triathlon Bukit Merah 2016's Sprint Distance. It was such a great feeling to be able to stand there under the sun to wait for the participants to pass by so that I could snap the best possible shots for them.

I know I'm not a professional photographer. But I do enjoy taking photographs for others. And I am trying to learn to take better photos too. Previously, I never liked to take selfies. I only love to take photos for others. It was very evident that I could hardly find my own photos with family, friends. I usually ended up to be the one taking photos for others. haha! My excuse also for not wanting to be in the picture.

However, this has all changed since I started running. 

With the popularity of social media, and the getting used to the running photos taken by kind, passionate photographers (most of them do it voluntarily!), I started to take selfies too. :) More so when I have started to write blog because I need photos for my article writings. :)

Last Saturday I had a different type of joy

The joy of seeing happy faces posing for photograph

The joy of seeing participants pushing their limits.

The joy of having people to say "thank you" showing appreciation.

The joy of connecting and knowing more friends.

I really love it!!! 

After photo taking, the uploading of photos to Facebook to share is a rather tedious work. And I know finishers are eagerly waiting to see their photos. 

This round, I did my best by uploading the 353 photos of 113 Triathlon Bukit Merah's Sprint Distance within one day. And I made some new great friends due to the photo tagging in Facebook. :) 

For the 113 Triathlon Bukit Merah 2016 (Sprint Distance) photo album in Facebook, please click here.

I would also like to pay my utmost respect to all the photographers who restlessly, patiently take photos for us.

Photographers' work takes much longer hours  than us doing the sports. :) They need to cover from the top finisher to the last finisher. Long hours and it makes it much harder with the scorching hot sun. 


Thank you to all the sports photographers. Because of you, we have great memories!!


I hope I manage to squeeze some time to be a photographer to another event by end of the year. I shall learn to give back to society! 

In fact, blogging - sharing my experiences positively - is one of the ways that I am using to give back to society as well. As long as I can motivate and encourage one person from one article, I am a happy satisfied soul. :)


Written on 2016.09.08

Comments