Top 10 cities in Asia-Pacific


Recently I picked up an old DestinAsian magazine to read. It incidentally featured the winners of Readers' Choice Awards 2017, including the results of Top 10 Cities in Asia-Pacific Region voted by its readers.


  1. Bangkok, Thailand
  2. Singapore
  3. Hong Kong
  4. Tokyo, Japan
  5. Taipei, Taiwan
  6. Seoul, South Korea
  7. Kyoto, Japan
  8. Hanoi, Vietnam
  9. Chiang Mai, Thailand
  10. Siem Reap, Cambodia





Source: DestinAsian


Bangkok tops the list

The Thai capital of 14.5 million people continues to lead the pack among DetinAsian readers' favorite cities in the region. 

Since the magazine doesn't provide its reader's take on Bangkok, I've included here what CNN Travel says about Bangkok. In fact, CNN Travel has chosen Bangkok to be the World's Greatest City, not only in Asia-Pacific region. Awesome!!! 

CNN Travel's Take
"Bangkok's buzz is like no other place in the world. Relentless traffic gives way to quiet "klongs" or canals and 24-hour party people queue up for clubs next to serene colonial mansions on quarter-acre blocks. All of this and its people are among the friendliest on earth."
Source: CNN Travel

Kuala Lumpur didn't make it into top 10 cities

Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines didn't see their cities like Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta and Manila listed in the top 10 cities.

Kuala Lumpur - the beautiful capital of Malaysia that I have been living for more than twenty years, seems to have missed some essence compared to other cities listed in top 10. But as consolation, at least Penang and Langkawi made it to the top ten islands in Asia-Pacific. 

Jakarta - the city that is undergoing lots of changes and development recently, and a city I have been living for close to two years for work, seems to have missed some essence as well compared to other cities listed in top 10. Or perhaps travelers would have gone straight to two of the top ten islands Bali and Lombok instead.

Manila - a beautiful capital of Philippines that I only had a chance to visit for the very first time early this year - might have been too far out and not frequented by travelers. Or travelers would have gone straight to two of the top ten islands Boracay and Palawan instead.



Which new city you will travel next?

Which new city you will be traveling to for holiday next out of the top ten cities?

Or you have visited all the top ten cities in Asia-Pacific region? Lucky you! :)

How about any other cities not listed in the top ten?

As for me, out of the ten cities in Asia-Pacific voted by DestinAsian's readers, I have been to six (8), expect Tokyo and Kyoto in Japan.

It seems that I have been to most countries and cities, except Japan. Sob! Sob! I was told that once I set foot in Japan, I will instantly fall in love with it.

As a marathon runner, I love to combine running a full marathon with my travel, especially to a new country, city or place. It allows me to see more of the destination from a runner's perspective. 

I have been wanting to visit Japan for a long time, especially Tokyo and Kyoto. And I have been trying since 2014 to win a slot in the ballot to run at Tokyo Marathon. Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky and successful in the balloting, resulting in postponement after postponement of my visit to Japan. So disheartening! Well, I hope I will be selected during the ballot in September 2017 to run at Tokyo Marathon in February 2018. This is my fifth try! I pray that I can have my wish come true to finally visit Tokyo, Japan.


Which city you love to revisit again and again?

I have visited Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei, Hanoi and Chiangmai more than once. Some more often than others. And I had memorable holidays in Siem Reap and Seoul once. 

I love to visit all the cities again and again. In fact, I'm visiting Taipei and Hong Kong again end of this year. I also plan to visit Bangkok and Chiangmai again in 2018. :)

Isn't traveling wonderful? 




Written by Vincent Khor on August 21, 2017.

Comments