KL SEA Games 2017 athletes, you inspire us!

wall of fame of the gold medalist at KL SEA Games 2017 Malaysian contingent operation center 
After close to two weeks of friendly competition amongst Southeast Asian countries, Kuala Lumpur SEA Games 2017 closed its curtain on August 30 at KL Sports City's Bukit Jalil National Stadium. In 2019, all Southeast Asian athletes will meet and compete again in beautiful Philippines!

It was such an honor for Malaysia to host this year's SEA Games 2017! Despite some hiccups, all people united together - from athletes, coaches, volunteers, supporters and people of all Southeast Asian nations - in the spirit of sport - to make it a great success!



Besides watching track and field events live at Bukit Jalil National Stadium and the rest of the games on live TV, I also took the opportunity to visit Malaysian contingent's Operation Center at Renaissance Hotel Kuala Lumpur. It was such a privilege to see the athletes in actions working hard to prepare for their moments of glory and honor at competitions! (Click here to read the previous article.)

Salute to all KL SEA Games 2017 athletes!

On August 30 morning, I made a special trip to Malaysian contingent operation center again to snap photos of all the gold medalists on the wall of fame at Kuala Lumpur SEA Games 2017. 

At that time, the count was 140 golds for Malaysia. (Later that day before closing ceremony, Malaysia added 5 more gold medals to the total tally making it a historic 145 gold medals.)

As I took the photos of gold medalists on the "wall of fame", I took very close looks at each athlete's photo. I saw all the 140 gold medalists either biting their hard-earned gold medalsgiving their best smiles or full of emotions. 

Reflecting back on what I witnessed on their intensive training and hard work that they had to endure, I knew none of the medals came easy! Gold, silver or bronze. None came easy! Even the fact that they could represent country, they were already deserve all praises and respect!

As a weekend marathoner and triathlete, I know how hard it's to train. I know how much sweat and effort an athlete needs to put in. I know how much pain an athlete needs to endure. I'm sure theirs are more than triple the sweat, effort and pain compared to mine!

For that, they deserve my respect

For that I salute them! 

For that, I am very proud of them!

They really inspire me!!

I know my age is even older than their coaches, but I shall never fail to draw my motivation and encouragement from their mental toughness and determination. And their youthfulness - so much energy and hope! I shall draw on that too!

Wall of fame

I would like to share the photos I took at Malaysia contingent operation center along with two Sin Chew Jit Poh newspaper cuttings to serve as memory and inspiration for us in many years to come!

140 gold medalists of Malaysia. 5 more gold medalists making final count as 145 gold medals.
Closer look at the SEA Games 2017 gold medalists - I'm sure you see your heroes!

Closer look at the SEA Games 2017 gold medalists - I'm sure you see your heroes!
Closer look at the SEA Games 2017 gold medalists - I'm sure you see your heroes!



Medal tally for Malaysian contingent in SEA Games 1959-2015
medal tally for KL SEA Games 2017. Congrats to all athletes from all 11 countries!


A newspaper cutting from local Chinese newspaper Sin Chew Jit Poh
A newspaper cutting from local Chinese newspaper Sin Chew Jit Poh


Athletes, you inspire!

I would like to reiterate that even though I'm sharing the pictures of Malaysian contingent here, I'm not referring to Malaysia team only. The reason is that I didn't have access to the photos from other countries.

Sport is beyond borders.

Sport is unity. 

Sport is regardless of race, religion, sexual preference, and country.

In the spirit of sport, we are all the same and united

And may all rise together and may the best win!

Therefore, I'm referring to all athletes from all 11 Southeast Asian countries (in no particular order):
  1. Philippines
  2. Singapore
  3. Thailand
  4. Vietnam
  5. Brunei
  6. Myanmar
  7. Cambodia
  8. Lao PDR
  9. Timor Leste
  10. Indonesia
  11. Malaysia


Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

You inspire millions of us! 

You make us feel proud of you!

May you continue to strive for the best you can!

Hopefully my blog still survives two years from now. ha!ha! And I have a chance to visit Philippines by then to witness the 30th Southeast Asian Games in Philippines! I can't wait!


Written by Vincent Khor on September 3, 2017.

Comments