Urban Streets of Tokyo


Do you know that greater Tokyo area is the world's most populous metropolitan area in the world with more than forty million (40,000,000) people? It's crazily insane with so many people in this huge metropolitan. Yet, due to Japanese culture, everything seems to be so organised, so orderly, so systematic and so effective. At times it feels crowded no doubt, but it never gives me the feelings of "suffocating" from the crowd. Tokyo is truly the centre of Japanese culture - fashion, food, nightlife, art, etc.

Some of my friends told me that staying in Tokyo for 2-3 nights is more than enough. But hey! Even after staying for 5 nights (even though 2 nights were specifically allocated for Tokyo Marathon 2018), I still feel that I haven't seen enough of Tokyo.

I love nature when I travel. But I also love city travel, especially to a metropolitan city like Tokyo. I love to look at the people, the streets, the fascinating high-rise buildings, and of course the delicious local food. But most of all, I recently I have fallen in love with street photography! So Tokyo is the perfect place for me to hone my mobilegraphy skill! lol!

I would like to share with you below some photos that I have taken with my mobile phone iPhone 8. I hope it gives you a glimpse of what Tokyo streets are.



1. Tokyo Station

Served by Shinkansen high-speed rail lines, Tokyo Station is the main intercity rail terminal in Tokyo. It's the busiest station in Japan in terms of number of trains per day (over 3,000).

At every station in Tokyo (especially Shinjuku and Tokyo station), what I see is just people, people, people. And they walk very fast. Some run. All the trains are sharp on time. It's really amazing on how Japanese can be so orderly and efficient despite the ultra-busyness.





2. Ginza

Stepping into Ginza is like stepping into Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles, California. Ginza, the affluent shopping district in Tokyo, is the home to the posh boutiques and huge department stores, high fashion malls. I also notice Japanese in Ginza tend to dress up in high fashion more than other parts of Tokyo that I have been to.






3. Residential Areas

Behind all the main streets are smaller lanes and roads with more residential areas. The streets are super clean, pretty much like the cleanliness in my own living room. :) No one throws rubbish. In fact, I can't even find any trash can along the streets. Japanese tend to be very quiet too. At the place that I stay which is close to Metropolitan Government Building, I can hear a pin drop at night. That's how quiet it is. It's really amazing!







4. Shinjuku / Shinjuku Station

Shinjuku is a major commercial and administrative centre, housing the busiest railway station in the world. There are many high-rise buildings in this area, with corporate head quarters, shopping malls, department stores, government buildings, etc. Shinjuku Station (新宿駅 Shinjuku-eki) is used by an average of more than 4 million people per day, making it the world's busiest transport hub. The station itself has 51 platforms and over 200 exits. I get so so confused entering Shinjuku Station. Everyone is moving so fast. I have not see any city with people walking so fast. And some of them run to catch the train, bus, etc. If I were to rate a country with the fastest walker, I would say Tokyo, Japan! :)








5. Shinjuku Street

 I went there after running the Tokyo Marathon for late lunch with my Japanese family. I remember the whole street is full of shopping malls and department stores. There is also a huge Uniqlo.  According to my Japanese family, the streets here are closed to cars to encourage shoppers to walk and shop without having to worry about cars. Such a nice place to shop!





Pictures speak thousand words. If you haven't been to Tokyo, you must! I regretted for visiting Japan so late in my lifetime (waiting 5 years for Tokyo Marathon lottery slot). How I wish I'd discovered Japan as one of my most favourite travel destinations much earlier. It's better to be late than never. haha!



Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing those pictures! I would love to visit Japan some day. I came across your blog because I was looking for a Saucony vs Sketchers post. I may go with Saucony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamilab,
      Yeah! Saucony is an awesome choice! They are getting more and more active in running community in Malaysia as well. All the best and more PBs to come yeah with your new Saucony! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment