26. GRATITUDE: GIVE THANKS TO EVERYTHING WITH A GRATEFUL HEART



26. GRATITUDE: GIVE THANKS TO EVERYTHING WITH A GRATEFUL HEART 

  

“Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation of all abundance.” -- Eckhart Tolle

 

We live in a world whereby we like to compare with each other. 

Parents like to compare their children's academic and sports achievements with other children’s achievements. 

Students compare their school grades with each other. 

Corporate workers compare their take-home pay with each other. 

Adults compare how fancy the cars they drive on the streets with others’ cars. 

Family compares how big the house they stay with neighbours’ house. 

Most people like to compare their job position titles with others’ job titles. 

Of course, most people like to compare how much money they make with others.

One of my subordinates sat in my old car to a business meeting. Upon asking, he told me that he drove an RM280,000 Audi. To tell you the truth, I felt a bit embarrassed. I was his boss. Logically I made more money than him. But he ended up driving a new car worth three times more than my old car. Shouldn't I be driving a nice car to match my status too? I pondered upon it for a while. 

Then I realised that if I wanted, I could also buy myself a RM280,000 Audi. I could afford it. But financially it would burn a dent in my bank account. I might then need to delay my early retirement planning by a few more years. 

But I also know that driving a RM280,000 Audi zooming the streets of Kuala Lumpur isn't my style. I prefer a low-key lifestyle. 

Workwise, I also felt that it wasn't necessary for me to buy a fancy car to show off my status. My bosses, colleagues and customers should focus on my capability, ability and experience instead of my outer appearance or what car I drive. 

I also know that if I keep having this mindset of comparing with another, there is always someone else driving a better car, living in a nicer home, having higher salary than me. 

Why should I compare and make myself short-lived then? 

I should be grateful indeed for what I have. 

There are more people out there who live below their means, struggling each day to put food on table. 

With that gratitude full of thankfulness for what I have, I have peace in my heart. 

I don't get jealous when I see someone better than me. I am happy for that person's achievement in life.

I don't get jealous to see someone on top of the corporate ladder. I'm happy for the person.

I'm just contented with what I'm given by God. 

I continue to count my blessings. 

That makes me a much happier person.


Gratitude

Eckhart Tolle, an author, said, “Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation of all abundance.”

Did you know that gratitude shields you from negativity, makes you at least 25% happier, rewires your brain, eliminates your stress, heals you, improves your sleep, boost your self-esteem and performance, enhances the law of attraction, and improves your relationships?


Give thanks with a grateful heart

When you choose for early retirement, don't compare with others, especially your friends and colleagues who are still working forty to sixty hours a week in corporate world. 

Remember, most people your age are still in a rat race. Most of them are still leaving home at 6.00 am in the morning, working 8 to 12 hours, coming back home, taking dinner, watching some Netflix then sleeping. The next day, they repeat the same routine all over again. 

They continue to make a lot of money with active income from their jobs. They use their precious time to continue to earn those money. 

Whereas for you, you have "enough money" (arbitrary from individual to individual). You have achieved your financial freedom sooner than others. Perhaps others have more money than you but they still can't let go. Or they love their jobs so much they prefer to continue working. Or they don't have other life focuses of their own so they prefer to continue going to office to work. 

But you have prioritised your life better. You know there are more important things than work. You have decided to forgo money, choose time, and retire early.

Hence, don't compare with others, especially in terms of monetary returns, worldly material things, power and status of the world.

You have moved on to live the second phase of your life. 

Be grateful for the opportunity to retire early. 

Be grateful that you have enough retirement savings to cover your living expenses for the rest of your life.

Be grateful that now you can spend more time with your family. 

Be grateful than now you have time to pursue your greater interests. 

Be grateful that you can start to fulfil your dreams you once had many years ago. 

Be grateful that you are now set free from financial burden. 

Once you have this gratitude towards life, you live a much happier life. 

Our life is not our own. God can give and take away anytime. 

Be grateful for each day that you live, you breathe and do things you love without having to worry about money. 

Happiness can be very simple with more gratitude for all that you have. And you can turn your happiness to joy once you start to bless others, to be significant to others. By focusing on others, by helping others, by making other people's lives better, you will be filled with much joy and happiness that outlast your life. 

Treat yourself well. Bless others. 

Start each day with a positive thought and a grateful heart for the rest of your life. 

You deserve it!


SECTION 5

 

Life after Retirement:

Health, Happiness, Gratitude, Being Significant 

 

“If you have health, you probably will be happy. And if you have health and happiness, you have all the wealth you need, even if it’s not all you want." -- Elbert Hubbard



F I L L

Financial Independence, Live Life 

 

achieving financial independence from 9-to-5 job before 50



Book manuscript written in 2020 & blog articles published in 2021 by Vincent Khor


Photo by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash

Comments