Physiotherapy treatment for my IT Band, Back Pain and Shoulder Pain



Most of you might not know that I had slipped disc at lumbar 4 and lumbar 5 of my spinal cord about 10 years ago. It took me 1.5 years to recover but I still need to constantly watch out for my posture and do stretching to ensure my slipped disc doesn't recur.

I'm surprised that today I still can run!! 

I'm really grateful for the recovery and I thank God for granting me physical health back for a healthy lifestyle.




With my recent IT band syndrome for the last 2 weeks, I have been very desperate for an effective treatment that could bring me back to my peak performance soonest possible.

Exploring physiotherapy is one of the treatments I have tried within 2 weeks besides sport massage with cupping, foot massage, and IT band rehab exercise at home.

Physiotherapy

Physiotherapists help people affected by injury, illness or disability through movement and exercises, manual therapy, education and advice. 

I decided to visit Apple Physiotherapy Center at PJ Palm Sports yesterday (May 20), pre-race day of of Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2017. 

I was looking for a miracle so that I could run at SCKLM 2017!! 😋

Can you see my desperation? ha!ha!

Beautiful swimming pool at PJ Palm Sports outside Apple Physiotherapy Centre
I was assigned an experienced physiotherapist who diagnosed my conditions: IT band, back pain and shoulder pain (few months already).

She then started to apply manual therapy and kinesiology sports taping on me. She ended with teaching me 2 simple stretching exercises that I can do at home. 


She also mentioned that should I not recover well with the manual therapy and kinesiology sports taping after few sessions, then she recommends me to go for Intra Muscular Stimulation.

I found that my pain points were more relaxed and comfortable after the first physiotherapy session. But the IT band, back pain and shoulder pain are still there. I guess there is no miracle but a continuous healing process! I just need to be patient!😊

Below are the three (3) physiotherapy treatments that are recommended for my case. The information and images are obtained from Apply Physiotherapy Center's website.

1. Manual Therapy

Manual therapy combines massage, belt technique, mobilization with movement, stretching for the muscle and joint. By using manual therapy, patient would benefit to reduce the pain and increase the range of motion of the affected area.

manual therapy - source: Apple Physiotherapy Center

2. Kinesiology Sports Taping

This technique is from Japan, and it's now widely used around the world especially in sports industries. It acts as a support and stability to muscles and joints without restricting the body's range of motion.


Kinesiology sports taping - source from Apply Physiotherapy Center

3. Intra Muscular Stimulation

This method was started by a doctor in Canada named Dr. Chan Gunn during 1970s. He borrows the needle technique from traditional Chinese acupuncture, but updates and enhances it with western anatomy and neurophysiology. It's extremently userful on muscle trigger point and relaxes up the muscle shortened area hence reduce the muscle and joint pain.

Intra muscular stimulation - source Apple Physiotherapy center

How much does it cost?

I only opted for 1 single session for now. I paid RM130 for it. 

I managed to take a photo of the price list at the counter as they also have package pricing.



Is physiotherapy treatment effective? I guess it depends on individual and what sort of injury or pain you have!!

Let's take care of our body and health.



Written by Vincent Khor on May 21, 2017.

Comments