I ran Pattaya Marathon 2023 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hence, I decided to come back and run again this year.

I was in Japan for 1.5 month in May and June and I didn't clock in enough training mileage.  I did walk a lot in Japan (on average 20,000 - 30,000 steps a day) and I also did 1 or 2 runs a week during my Japan travel. It's still a far cry from my usually full marathon training mileage. Therefore, I expected myself to run slow on July 21, 2024 at Pattaya Marathon 2024. When I registered, I put myself with an expected finish time of 5 hours taking my last year's finish time of 4 hours 50 minutes as a reference.

Anyway, I'm okay with the expected slow timing. I was also very relaxed prior to the event. My purpose to run at Pattaya Marathon again was more for its scenic route, its plenty of food at water stations and finish line, and its fun running atmosphere. After the race,  I could also enjoy delicious Thai food, good Thai massage, and the beautiful beach. A perfect marathon and makanthon!


42 km running route

It's the same challenging, but enjoyable and scenic running route as last year's Pattaya Marathon 2023. 

I noticed there were more volunteers this year cheerleading runners "Go Go Fighting!" throughout the route. Thai people are forever fun with smiling faces. The cheers were really contagious motivating me to keep running. 

Last year, there was no distance markers be inyond 21 km. But this year, I noticed all the distance markers were clear, huge, well designed, and placed at strategic locations throughout the whole 42 km route. Truly impressive!

Water station has maintained its high standard and quality with plenty supply of ice creams, jelly, chocolates, watermelons, banana, snacks, energy drink, energy gels. I really enjoy running in Thailand because organisers are very generous - with a lot of snacks and food to eat. 

It was drizzling almost from the start to the finish last year. This year, it was good weather - still hot and humid but with welcoming sea breeze occasionally, especially at Jomtien Beach and Pattaya Beach areas.



Race kit collection at Terminal 21

I arrived directly from Suvarnabhumi Airport by bus, using Bell Travel's bus service dropping me off at the hotel I stayed on Friday July 19.

 I also picked up my race kit on the same day. Wow! A lucky BIB number 2388! And my hotel room was number was also luck number 628! I like! It was an ease to collect my race kit with no long queue. A lot of booths were set up to sell running gears, etc. I also bought energy gels at one of the booths. There was also a band performing Thai hit songs to cheering crowds. 



Start line

Last year I was placed at Block B at start line. This year I was placed at Block D, 2 blocks further away. The last block was Block F. All the pacers were at the beginning of the start line. 

I had no running strategy. I just told myself I would listen to my body, run by feel, and enjoy the running atmosphere. 


Terminal 21 start line > North Pattaya Rd > Pattaya Beach  Rd

As I started from nearly the end, I crossed the start line almost a minute later. I just ran according to how I felt. 

Suddenly, I felt the urge to go to toilet to pee. Perhaps I drank too much water beforehand. So I went for my first toilet break not even 2 km into the race. (I went for a total of 3 toilet breaks during the 42 km journey). I felt relief after the toilet break. 


I followed 4:45 hour pacers

As I continued to run, I saw 4:45 hour pacers ahead of me. I caught up with them and I followed them for a while. 
















I followed 4:30 hour pacers

Then I saw 4:30 hour pacers running not far in front. I decided to try my luck and run a bit faster to catch up with 4:30 hour pacers.

I was then running with 4:30 hour pacers for about 2-3 kilometers. 


Thappraya Rd > Jomtien Sai 2 Rd > Sukhumvit Rd

Somehow I was still feeling fresh after the first 5 km or so.

Then I saw a Thai runner who was initially following 4:30 hour pacers speeding up. He overtook 4:30 hour pacers and ran at a very consistent pace charging ahead. (Later I found out from the post event photos that his bib number was 1650.)

By right, it was probably the best strategy for me to just stick with 4:30 hour pacers. I should be counting my blessing if I could keep up with 4:30 hour pacers throughout the 42 km distance. I only managed to finish in 4 hours 50 minutes last year anyway.


I followed Thai runner BIB no. 1650

But I thought of trying out my luck once more.. as my body was still relatively feeling quite okay. So, I decided to change my strategy and follow as close as possible behind this Thai runner (BIB no. 1650). I found that his pace was consistent, his cadence was consistent, and his running form was consistent. He must be a seasoned runner! 

So, just like a shadow, I followed behind him from around 5 km all the way to 16 km at Sukhumvit Highway.

Only after looking at the race result, I realized that he was running at at sub 6 min/km pace. Truly fast for my current fitness level. 

No wonder I started to drop my pace after 16 km. Thai runner BIB no. 1650 was still running at a consistent pace after 16 km, but I was having difficulty catching up with him. I was starting to slow down.

I was very grateful to have spotted Thai runner no. 1650. He helped me to stay focused on my breathing, running form and pace. Without him, I might have run a very inconsistent 10 km or so by myself.







Sukhumvit Rd > tunnel > 20 km u-turn > Sukhumvit Rd

Around KM 17, I noticed another Thai runner whose pace was slightly faster than mine. I thought perhaps I could follow him this round since Thai runner with BIB no. 1650 was already far ahead.

I was running side by side with him for about 1 km only.  I dropped my pace after that and I couldn't keep up. Tiredness started to kick in.


I ran alone by feel

Since I couldn't find any other experienced runners whom I can follow to motivate me, I had no choice but to run alone by listening to my own body. 

Hence, from KM 17 onwards, I was practically running alone at whatever pace my body could take. Sometimes I ran slower. Sometimes I ran faster. I didn't have a benchmark or reference like a pacer or another runner to help me stay consistent. I couldn't depend on my normal fitness watch because I knew it wasn't accurate. 

The happiest moment came at KM20, which was a U-turn after the tunnel. The reason for my happiness because that water station provided ice creams, chocolates, water melons, bananas, jelly, and energy gel as well. And I enjoyed the ice cream so much, running slowly while eating ice cream at the same time. 



















Yak Jomtien Sai2 Rd 

After U-turn and ice cream reward, it was truly a test of will and determination running the Sukhumvit Rd back. 

I still ran alone by feel

At this distance, most full marathon runners had sort of spread out. I couldn't find another runner whom I could follow. 

No choice, I continued to run alone without looking at my watch. Basically I just ran by feel.

However, knowing that after Yak Jomtian Sai2 Rd would be my most anticipated scenic route Jomtien Beach, I got super excited. It gave me motivation and energy to continue running.










Jomtien Beach Rd  + "Hit the wall" zone

Jomtien Beach route, which started at KM30, was my most anticipated route of all! 

By the time I reached Jomtien Beach, it was the early morning sun and cool sea breeze welcoming me and other runners. Along the stretch, I could see morning joggers along the beach; I could see fishermen with their boats up on the beach selling seafood to the locals; I could see some tables and chairs on the beach with locals and tourists enjoying the morning beach atmosphere. 

This was also the stretch that I smiled the most! I was simply feeling happy whenever I reach this stretch with the beautiful Jomtien Beach view.

2 km down the road, it was "Hit the wall" zone. 

21 km runners also merged with 42 km runners from now onwards. 

At this zone, the water stations had ice cream and many snacks and energy gel as well - same as K20 U-turn water station. 

The organiser really know what goes behind the mind of runners.

The organiser had the Jomtien Beach route starting at KM30 when full marathoners usually hit the wall! The beautiful beach view, cool sea breeze served as an energy boost!

And then at "hit the wall" zone KM 20, runners were served with ice creams, chocolates, jelly, water melons, bananas and energy gels. The distance was just right! 

Kudos to the organisers on such a well planned route taking into the psychology part of runners! 

During this Jomtien Beach stretch, I started to slow down a bit. Yes, I was starting to get tired. More so, I wanted to enjoy the beautiful beach view and ice cream. After all, it was supposed to be a relaxing running vacation for me! Hence, I had a lot of fun and joy during these few kilometers! 



Thrappaya Rd

When one thought it would be flat and easy until the finish line, there was the challenging hilly Thrappaya Rd to run up. 

But I saw some cheerleaders shouting "Go! Go! Fighting! Fighting!". I was motivated. I started to feel their positive energy and I went to give them hi-fives too! What a lovely cheerleading volunteers!








Pattaya Beach Rd 

After running passed the challenging Thrappaya Rd, we were back to Pattaya Beach Rd. 

My right thigh started to feel very tight as if it was going to cramp anytime! As I moved my feet, I felt the tightness of my thigh. I was very worried I would get a cramp! Hence, I slowed down even further, giving my thigh some time to recuperate.








I saw and followed 4 hour 30 min pacers

Then out of a sudden, I noticed 4 hour 30 min pacers passing me by at around KM 38. I started to get nervous, knowing my pace had dropped so much that 4 hour 30 min pacers were over taking me. 

I still recall it was almost the same distance last year that 4 hour 45 min pacers over taking me. 

Hence, I gave myself a pat on the back saying that I might still finish faster compared to last year. And I should not feel anxious.

But deep down in my heart, I wanted to give 4 hr 30 min a try! 

I readjusted my running form, refocused my concentration, and followed as closely as possible with the 4 hr 30 min pacers again! My feet wasn't really listening to me. What I could do was to tell myself not to stop but keep moving forward - no matter how slow or small the steps were. Hence, I kept moving forward, no matter how slow how tired I was!











I ran alone again after I failed to follow 4 hour 30 min pacers!

But then at KM 40, I started to fall behind again. I couldn't keep up with the 4 hour 30 min pacers! So I had no choice but to run alone again! I really wanted to slow down and start walking. But I told myself to persevere a little longer as the finish line was only 2 km away.

So I shook off my tiredness and gave my last ounce of energy to move forward. I told myself, "Keep moving! Keep moving! Don't stop!"







North Pattaya Rd > Terminal 21 finish line

In order to reach the finish line, we had to run uphill for a short while, then made a U-turn. Only then we could reach finish line.

Making to the U-turn was tough. It was uphill. And my body was almost giving up! But thanks to cheering crowds near finish line. I pressed on!

After the U-turn, it was mainly flat and slightly downhill! So it was quite enjoyable to run the last 800m or so to finish line. 

When I saw the big clock nearing 4 hour 30min, I ran as fast as I could to finish line. By the time I reached the finish line, the big clock read 4:31:24. 








Finish line

I was so happy to have finished my 36th full marathon at Pattaya Marathon 2024.

Besides collecting finisher medal and finisher tee-shirts, we were also given food vouchers to exchange for our meals after a long hard run. I used my vouchers to exchange for teriyaki chicken with rice, Thai pork dry noodles, jelly drink and mineral water. 

There were also 2 pools with some runners getting themselves wet soaking their feet and body inside. 

There was a live performance with runners dancing and singing along bringing the running even to a high closing note.

Sweets, Food, Drinks





Finisher t-shirt and finisher medal







Race Result

By scanning the QR code on the running BIB, I could then immediately check my race result! Very impressive technology indeed! Kudos to the high-tech organiser!

I am extremely happy with my race result! I'm grateful for being able to complete another full Marathon! At my age, as long as I can run, fast or slow, I'm a happy man!

Pattaya Marathon 2024 was an enjoyable full marathon and makanthon, with beautiful scenic route and nice Thai people! It was exactly the reason why I ran the second year in a row! Who knows! I may come back to run again next year!

A million thanks to Tri-League organiser for organizing such a high quality full marathon event! Many thanks to all the professional photographers who took all the nice running photos. All photo credits go to them!! 

Event Name: 
Pattaya Marathon 2024

Event Date:
July 21, 2024

Distance: 
42 km full marathon 

Full Marathon No. in all countries:
No. 36

Full Marathon No. in Thailand:
No. 4 (Hat Yai, Chiang Mai, Pattaya x 2)

Running Shoe:
Asics Evoride Speed

Run Time:
4 hours 31 minutes 24 seconds

Net Time:
4 hours 30 minutes 29 seconds